You may be making some wood burning mistakes…
Burning wood is an efficient way to heat your home during the cold winter months, although caution must be taken. The fire must burn safely and efficiently. Burning anything other than cured wood, or a fireplace that does not properly vent, can cause some serious problems. Dangerous toxins can be let into, and circulate through your house, putting anyone in the home at risk. Here are some tips to get the most out of your fireplace:
1. Burn seasoned firewood
Burning treated wood, plastic, glossy paper, or plywood is dangerous and should be avoided at all costs. Materials such as these release toxins into the air that will damage your fireplace, and be harmful to your health.
2. Split your firewood.
Splitting helps the wood dry much faster. Split your wood into 4-6 inches in diameter. The more surface area is exposed to the flame, the better the wood will burn.
3. Store wood in an outside shelter with circulation.
Do not store wood directly on the ground. Prop up the woodpile a couple of inches from the ground, and keep a minimal amount of wood inside your home. Too much wood brought inside to dry will release a large amount of humidity into your home.
4. Make sure the fire gets enough air while burning.
The air will ensure it is burning hot and clean. Have your chimney inspected once a year for obstructions in the liner that will prevent the flow of smoke up and out of the house. If you suspect a problem, call a professional.